Bamboo fibers are organically smooth and are super soft. Bamboo is 70% more absorbent than cotton and hence without chemical treatment. Bamboo wicks moisture away from the body and can keep it 100% drier when compared to cotton. Bamboo can circulate fresh air that is comfortable at any temperature and keeps the skin dry.
The bamboo fabric is more breathable when compared to other fabrics. It also has better natural antibacterial and deodorizing properties, which cotton cannot provide. It can reduce odor-causing bacteria. It is naturally hypoallergenic, which can make the skin sensitive.
Bamboo is a natural fiber that is 100% biodegradable. It is eco-friendly compared to cotton, corn, or other plant-based materials. Bamboo is one of the fastest-growing plants globally, which is highly beneficial to the environment and safe for the planet also.
Environmental benefits of Bamboo diapers are:
- Helps to reduce carbon dioxide from the environment.
- No need for irrigation, pesticides, or fertilizers.
- Bamboo diapers are easily decomposable within 180 days, whereas others take around 500 years
- As it is grass member thus able to replenish itself after harvest quickly.
- Able to generate 30% more oxygen than other plants and trees.
Reasons for Bamboo Diapers
- Naturally organic
- Great for skin
- Super absorbent
- Anti-fungal, antibacterial, hypoallergenic, and naturally diaper rash resistant.
- Soft, flexible, and more comfortable than other fabric diapers.
- Durable and at times able to team up to have insulating properties.
- Easy to decompose and thus also takes less time.
- Free from chlorine, phthalates, latex, PVC, TBT, alcohol, and other harsh chemicals normally present in any other conventional diapers.
Artificial Silk – Bamboo Diapers
It is the fastest-growing grass family. When processed to make it into the fabric, it is called Rayon fabric. Rayon Fabric is also made from other materials such as cotton or wood pulp.
Rayon Fabric was first patented in 1894 and is also referred to as Artificial Silk. It has characteristics that can be made into perfect diaper material.
How is Bamboo processed into fabric?
Sodium Hydroxide, also known as caustic soda, is the key factor in processing bamboo to the fabric.
Sodium Hydroxide is a strong chemical that does not have any health hazards and can be easily disposed of as long as it is being used.
Sodium Hydroxide is used to process cotton into fabric. It is completely safe.
Pros of Bamboo diapers
- Completely replenishable and fully biodegradable
- Easy to grow without the need for any special conditions, fertilizers, or pesticides.
- Able to absorb a lot more liquid than regular cotton.
- The bamboo plant enriches the soil it grows in rather than continuously depleting it.
- It is efficient at filtering carbon dioxide out of the air, with some claiming it does it better than most other greenery.
- Rash Free Diapers are made up of processed bamboo called rayon silk or artificial silk, which is more comfortable for the skin when compared to the most popular brand diapers.
- Bamboo diapers have in-built moisture-wicking, thus eliminating adding special gels.
- They are less bulky than traditional diapers and are more flexible.
- They are gluten and dairy-free babies.
- It helps to reduce and even destroy odor-causing bacteria.
- They are good or overnight diapers.
- It stands for heavy wetting due to increased absorbency.
- The fabric is more breathable than cotton and other fabrics.
- They are a lot more breathable, which prevents them from getting hot or sweaty underneath, which helps to keep them from further discomfort.
- Diapers are naturally antimicrobial, antibacterial, and hypoallergenic, which lack the potential of harmful chemicals added to the mix.
- Lack of chemical offers which reduce the chance of diaper rash.
- Changing from one diaper to another can feel a lot more natural.
Cons of Bamboo diapers
- They are costlier than regular cotton disposable diapers or cotton diapers.
- Some bamboo diapers brands are still questionable in the manufacturing processes. So, deciding the diaper must be a careful choice.
- Some brands tend to use bamboo and cotton blends instead of pure bamboo, which helps cut manufacturing costs.
- Bamboo is an easily stainable material.
Bamboo diapers have ample pros, which can definitively outway the cons. They are beneficial for the skin and greener and eco-friendly at the same time. The major con is the cost. But rest are the benefits of the diaper which can be used for longer-lasting diapers.
Bamboo Cloth Diapers VS Bamboo Disposable Diapers
The real benefit of disposable bamboo diapers is that they are convenient. The convenience factor is not enough for most of them. Bamboo cloth diapers have much higher quality than bamboo disposables. They are sensitive to the skin, and they are comfortable too. Cloth diapers are simple and reused. They are very convenient to use. Bamboo cloth diapers are much kinder to the planet. They have highly composable, which is around 75 days.